So if you know me or my family personally you may know that we will often stop in the middle of the road to help a turtle cross. I had never actually done this but my mother, grandmother, aunts, and cousins have all made it a point to help turtles. Well the other day I had my chance. It was on Mother's day, actually! Emma Claire and I were headed to Chiptole to pick up a quick dinner (hubs had to work on Mother's Day) when I saw something in the road. I instantly knew it was a turtle and was hoping it wasn't dead. I drove right up to it and saw that it was still alive! We were still in our neighborhood and there was no traffic so I pulled to the side of the road to help the little buddy out.
It was a red slider, I had one as a pet when I was younger. Any other turtle fans out there?
I was lucky enough to have an empty clear plastic container in the car! It was actually my cart cover case that I still had laying in the back seat. So I grabbed that and picked up the little guy and put him inside.
Lucky for us there are two ponds in our neighborhood! (I kind of panicked when I first picked up the turtle and had no idea what to do with it! ha!) I drove to the nearest one and Emma Claire and I walked down to the waters edge to release our new friend.
This is the last we saw of our turtle. I'm sure he will be much happier in the nice pond than in the middle of the road!



3 comments:
I lived on a lake for 20 years. We had many cases of "operation turtle rescue". In fact, we would find them on our front porch because they were attracted to the porch light. ;)
So sweet you helped this little guy out. :) Glad you had YOUR chance. Heehee.
Jonathan does this all the time! we have a lot in our area and there always seems to be one in the road...BIG ones too!
Aw so sweet! :) I remember once when I was a kid we were taking a long road trip and there was a GIANT turtle in the middle of a busy-ish high way. And probably several cars had run over it and he had a big crack in his shell :( Poor guy!
Post a Comment